Monday, November 15, 2004

Shock The Monkey! Shock The Monkey!

Remember that Peter Gabriel song "Shock The Monkey"..with it's slightly zany video and chorus chanting, almost ordering us to "shock the monkey! shock the monkey!"?

Well I do. And that's all I've been able to think about since November 3! I want to SHOCK the MoNKEY! Shock the m-f**ker! Do it! Yeah!

Ok, the closest thing we've had is that poor soul who set himself on fire in front of the White House today in protest of the Monkey's insane policies. He tried to "burn the monkey" I guess, hey at least he was close!

I mean, the street in front of the White House has been re-opened to the public for like what? 4 days? And now it's surely going to get closed down again.

I mean really...how crappy of a president do you have to be that you can't even open up the street in front of your office?

I feel we are living in Nicaragua or Uganda. Our leader is just a petty despot sitting behind a large fence, shielded by the Secret Service.

And now 4 of his cronies have resigned! 4 more after 2 last week! The man is losing staff members faster than he's losing brain cells! You can see all the rats abandoning the ship.

You'd think that'd be a sign of some sort of problem don't you think?

Meanwhile, soldiers are dieing in Iraq daily...and nobody is mourning. Nobody even seems to be noticing!

I watched an amazing HBO documentary last night (it was a re-run, originally it aired on Veteran's Day), called Last Letters Home. What an intense experience! I don't think I've cried this much in a long time. I recommend at least having a complete large box of Kleenex by your side when you watch it. Basically, the filmmaker has put together footage of families of soldiers killed in Iraq, reading the last letters they received from their loved one before they perished in the war. It's really presented in a sensitive light and the filmmaker is clearly aware of the delicate nature of the subject, so he does his best to protect the families from being over-exposed or used in any sort of manipulative way. He succeeds at basically allowing us to mourn for them and with them.

I heard an interview on NPR with the filmmaker, Oscar®- and Emmy® Award-winner Bill Couturié, and he basically said his reason for making the film was to help America start the process of mourning.

He's right. NOBODY is mourning our dead soldiers! Except for the families themselves, nobody seems to give a rat's ass about the over 1,100 American soldiers who have given their lives--and for WHAT? What a total waste of human life.

I wish the Monkey (the one that needs to get SHOCKED!) would suffer 1/100th of what these poor men and women have been suffering over there for 1 second. I bet the coward (who has never seen a day of combat in his privileged silver spoon up his nose life), would quake in his boots and call it all off immediately and run home to Mommy and Daddy. (Shit, he does it whenever he's scared...the fool.)

If any of the members of Congress had to send their sons or daughters over there and risk losing them, I'd bet we'd come home soon too wouldn't we?

America...land of the free...my ass.

Sorry to be so bitter, but it's been 2 weeks since the worst and most humiliating Election in U.S. history and I'm still licking my wounds. I just can't believe that Monkey is still our leader.

What a horrible message we sent to the World. What a disgusting display of insulation, of an inability to see past our own navels.

We will pay dearly for it too. The next 4 years will be hell on Earth for all of us. For the small boy in Iraq who just wants to grow up to become a doctor, for the teenage girl in North Korea who dreams of one day becoming a teacher, for the young man from Iowa who just wanted to make his way through college to become an architect and has no idea when his unit will be called up...they will all pay dearly...and for what? I ask you? For what?

Actually, I ask the Monkey. For what, Monkey? For what?

You see, we DO need to SHOCK the MONKEY. Big Time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home