Monday, October 04, 2004

Welcome October!

Well, it's now October...the nip of fall was definitely in the air this morning on my way to work. I am still enjoying my iPod a great deal. Now I've finally gotten a hand of programming it and downloading songs, making playlists, burning CDs, etc...so it's all good.

Here's my morning iPod playlist for my way to work.

Love Hurts, Heart
All By Myself, Jamie O'Neal
You've Been On My Mind, Emmylou Harris
Stuck In A Moment, U2
I'm Gonna Be Strong, Cyndi Lauper
Cryin' (live), k. d. lang

I know, it sounds depressing, but actually, it was nice and mellow and a good soundtrack for my walk to work on a Monday morning. Music is so powerful...it's amazing how it can just synthesize a feeling or emotion down to its purest sense. I've always loved music, more than theatre even...which is maybe why I do music theatre more than non-music theatre. Makes sense...I guess.

I guess our lives do make some sort of sense sometimes...

Regarding the current election, Kerry trounced Bush soundly in last week's debate on Foreign Policy. I hope he can repeat it in the next debate. It was like watching a grown man beat up a 5 year old...amazing that man has been leading our country for the past 4 years. He looked like he was semi-conscious.

I'm sure the Red Staters still thought he did a great job and looked "presidential", although even the Republican Spin doctors couldn't pretty it up enough to say Bush had "won".

The race is now practically a dead heat, so the next few weeks are crucial.

Dusty is still very much on my mind, as always. Lately, I've been thinking about all the previously unreleased tracks I have on CD that were produced by Jeff Barry. The Jeff Barry Album, some like to call it...and others say it was tentatively titled Faithful. Well, whatever it was gonna be called, it's a shame it never got released properly, because it would have been one great album. I hope to put it together on a playlist on my iPod and definitely burn it to CD to have a hard copy.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the source for author information about the songs recorded for Dusty's aborted third album for Atlantic Records. I have never been credited as such by Paul Howes, who used some of my information in his book, The Complete Dusty Springfield. The majority of songs were written by the staff writers Jeff Barry employed at his record company, Steed Records. Musicians most likely included people he'd worked with for years, like Hugh McCracken (guitar), Ron Frangipane (keyboards), Joey Macho (bass), Gary Chester and Buddy Saltzman(drums). I believe it is the Sweet Inspirations accompanying Dusty on most tracks, although Jeff himself sings the harmony vocal on "I Believe In You" and Dusty provides her own backing on "You've Got A Friend." The full album song credits, which Rhino Records' Jim Pierson was evidently too lazy to research, are as follows:

1. I Believe In You (Jeff Barry)
2. I'll Be Faithful (Ned Albright, Mike & Steve Soles)
3. All The King's Horses (Neil Goldberg - unconfirmed)
4. Someone Who Cares (Alex Harvey)
5. Make It With You (David Gates)
6. Love Shine Down On Me (Neil Goldberg, Gil Slavin)
7. Haunted (Jeff Barry, Bobby Bloom)
8. Natchez Trace (Neil Goldberg, Gil Slavin)
9. Live Here With You (Mike Soles, Gil Slavin)
10. Have A Good Life, Baby (Jeff Barry, Bobby Bloom, Neil Goldberg - unconfirmed)
11. You've Got A Friend (Carole King)
12. I Have Found My Way Through The Darkness (Mike Soles, Gil Slavin)

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy!

I am out spreading the word
to all true supporters of evangelical presbyterian

I believe that readers of this blog
would be fascinated to read about
the great new book at

evangelical presbyterian

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi: I am Neil Goldberg. Dusty Springfield was my favorite female artist, and when I was working with Jeff Barry and heard that he was going to produce her, I was very excited. It was a thrill to meet Dusty. I felt that 'Love Shine Down' was so strong for her. When I happened to wind up in the same Chinese restaurant as Dusty and Jeff Barry, I had the waiter bring a fortune cookie over to Dusty, and I had slipped a thin note into it saying,
"Love Shine Down is a smash". It was funny when she read it.
As for your 'unconfirmed' on "All The King's Horses" yes, I am the writer on that,(I also sent that song over to Atlantic for Aretha Franklin and she came out with her own song with the same title. I also sent Aretha a song called 'Ain't No Way'.// RE: 'Have A Good Life Baby', yes It was written by Jeff & Bobby Bloom et Moi. It was a privilege and so much fun working with Jeff Barry. He is one of the all-time greats, both on the level of integrity and talent. I hope the world gets to hear Dusty sing 'Love Shine Down'. Neil

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home