Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Everything's Alright, Yes...Everything's Fine...

Well, last night was the first rehearsal for a new production of Jesus Christ Superstar I am choreographing for Open Circle Theatre in D.C. Actually, I am co-choreographer with a wonderful guy named Fred Beam. Fred is hearing-impaired, and about 6 feet tall, African-American with amazing braids. He's also one of the nicest guys I've ever met. We really hit it off at last night's rehearsal (the first time we have met) and I am now completely calm about working with him.

Co-choreographing is always a tricky thing, and considering that Fred is hearing-impaired, and I don't sign, it's going to definitely be challenging. But we compliment each other so much stylistically, I can see it now. He is more hip-hop and I'm more musical theatre, and I think the combination will work perfectly for exactly what Suzanne Richard, the director, will want.

A sidenote on Susie (as we call her), she is a powerhouse! What a great gal, and despite her disability (Osteogenesis) and being only about 3 and 1/2 feet tall and walking with 2 canes, she is a little spitfire...and I love her! She has so much chutzpah and is really a great leader and I know she will pull this show together and be a fantastic director. I was chatting with her about lots of her ideas for the show, and it's really going to be unlike anything anyone has ever seen.

The cast is a wonderful mix of experienced Helen Hayes award winning/nominated DC actors, college students, actors who are sight-impaired, hearing impaired of all colors, races, ages and backgrounds. It's gonna be a trip!

The title of today's entry comes from a song the character of Mary Magdalene sings to Jesus in Act I of the show...it's also sort of a great indicator for how I feel today.

It hasn't been an easy week (and it's only Tuesday!), but funny enough, I feel pretty positive about the future and what's ahead for me. I don't know why, but some sort of peace has fallen over me. I feel as if Mary Magdalene herself is singing to me, soothing me with her hot ointment and telling me everything will be alright. Not that I think I am Jesus or anything like that...far from it, I'd hate to have that responsibility anyway!! : )

But just a feeling of calm, of acceptance...has washed over me. I've always been such a fighter, such a wave-maker, always fighting against the tide, trying to get what I want, even if it doesn't seem like it's possible. But I've changed, yes really changed....not sure why, but I just have this "let it be" attitude, that I never really was able to have before.

Maybe it's because in 1 month I will be 32. 32! My god! I'm an adult! And maybe part of being an adult and "growing up" is learning to accept some things, especially those over which you have absolutely no control...and I think after 32 years, I am finally letting go and doing just that.

It's very peaceful. I love it.

Try not to get worried
Try not to turn on to
Problems that upset you
Ah,
Don't you know
Everything's alright yes
Everything's fine...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home