Monday, July 19, 2004

There's Gotta Be Somethin' Better Than This!

Well, it was quite a weekend.   It wasn't too bad actually, but there were definitely moments.    The rehearsal last night for Sweet Charity, the show I am currently choreographing, went well..especially since I had not been to a rehearsal in a few weeks.   Courtney, my dance captain has done a wonderful job of keeping all the dancers in top shape and in step with all the choreography.   I have to remember to buy her a big opening night gift!

There's a song in the show that keeps stickin' in my head, and it really has always been my favorite of the whole score, called "There's Gotta Be Somethin' Better Than This".   What a wonderful song by Cy Coleman and Dorothy Fields.   It's all about striving to be something better, to find a better life for yourself...to get OUT!    It's really moving and a great song to watch develop.    I think I have staged it to the best of my abilities and the best it can be for this particular production.   The 3 ladies who sing it are really great performers, each in their own way, and will bring a really nice mix to the show.    Maria, who plays Charity, is just such an amazing dancer, and as I'm discovering, also a great comedienne and a good singer.     I am surprised that so much comes out of such a nimble, little wispy gal like she is.    Michelle, who plays Helene, is just such a little firecracker!   And she's my little metronome, always on the beat and always remembering every little detail of the choreography..which is great for me.   Then there's Maggie, playing Nicky.    What a trouper!   And she has this warm, maternal energy that is really a fresh take on the role.   I'm so used to the Chita Rivera take from the movie (which is wonderful, the brash, tough as nails broad), but Maggie takes Nicky to another place, and I like it.  She softens Nicky's edges and makes her sweeter.  It works, especially off of Maria and Michele.    She is definitely more of a singer/actor than a dancer, and she sometimes has trouble keeping up with those dancing dynamos Michelle and Maria.   But honestly, she has so much heart and is working so hard, that I know she will get there.    I have faith in her.    It's just about remembering the steps, but when she gets them, they are lovely!  It's gonna be great!   
 
I love that all 3 ladies' names start with 'M'.   I call them my "3Ms".   "M&M&M".    : )     I already see the ending of the song is gonna be my favorite moment in the show.   It's almost making me cry now.
 
It reminds me why I do what I do.   It's been a joy working with these 3 ladies.  
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home