Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Okay, where to begin?

Okay, where to begin? Well, first of all...even if you've never heard of Dusty Springfield, this blog could still hold some interest to you. Why? You might ask? Because it serves a purpose other than worshipping at the altar of La Springfield. It also is meant to let you know what I'm up to, what I'm thinking, how I'm feeling, etc...

Besides, it's cheaper than therapy. Right?

Right!

So, to start off, here is the Dusty portion of this post.

Dusty Springfield was easily, one of the best and most talented pop singers to ever grace us with her vocal charms. Born Mary Isobel Bernadette Catherine O'Brien in Hampstead, England in 1939, by the age of 12 she was already drawn to music. Having been raised on a steady diet of Peggy Lee, Jelly Roll Morton and Beethoven(what a mix!), she showed early sings of what was to be when she sang "St. Louis Woman" for her All Girls Convent School talent show. The Nuns were horrified I'm sure, but Dusty didn't care! She wanted to be a "blues singer".

Pretty wild dreams for an Irish-Catholic Brit girl from Hampstead! But little did she know, her dreams would come true in more ways than one, and that one day, she'd be hitting the top of the British and International charts when the British Invasion hit America in the early 1960s.

More about Dusty later (of course), but for now, if you want a very complete biography of Dusty's early life, check out:

Early Success

----------------------

Now onto me and what's up today. It's a Wednesday. Which means it's a nice day to start a blog. Hump day. Day where we try to distract ourselves from our hum-drum day jobs and find some creativity and fun in our every day life. So starting a blog was my way of doing that today. So there world! Take that!

Anyway, for those who don't know me, I have sort of a double life. Now, now, it's not that exciting, but it does require some explaining.

You see, during the day, I work for a rather large International Organization, helping developing countries to maintain and develop their economies without ruining their environments. Ok, I guess it sounds nobler than it is.

But then by night, I am busy as a professional dance choreographer/fight director/teacher/actor/singer/dancer in the Washington, D.C. theatre scene.

Of course, my passion is for my night job, and my day job pays the bills, but nevertheless I feel right now that both are a good balance and work well for me. For now.

I've been leading this "double life" since I moved back to DC in 1998. 6 years! Ack! I've been having some doubts as to how long I want to keep doing it this way, but for now it seems this is better than the alternative (a) a life with no art, no creativity, or (b)a life with no money to pay the rent.

So alas, I am stuck in the middle, albeit not necessarily in a bad way. It's all good.

More later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home