Tuesday, November 16, 2004

It was 30 years ago today...

My iPod playlist this AM was all about the early 70s...the time of my birth, and interestingly enough, also a time when our country was going through a contentious war overseas that was dividing us at home, and we had a cantankerous Republican divider in the White House who had just snatched a 2nd term (Nixon)...BOO! BOO!...so lots of parallels to 30 years later. Amazing how cyclical things are. Amazing I can spell cyclical without the aid of spell check!

My early 70s iPod playlist for Tuesday morning:


One Monkey Don't Stop No Show, Honey Cone
Who Could Be Lovin' You Other Than Me?, Dusty Springfield
It Doesn't Matter Anymore, Linda Ronstadt
I Will Always Love You, Dolly Parton
Through The Memory of My Mind, Freda Payne
Lady Marmalade, LaBelle

Ah, the good ol' days...I have to admit it makes me feel a bit better about today to know that our country has gone through all this before and we made it through ok. I was really bitter yesterday, and angry...and I guess lots of us are.

But sometimes you just have to try to be more positive and hope for the best. I need more of that in my life anyhow.

Oh and BTW, I just added a "Media List" to my Blog...something I've been wanting to do for quite a while. So, if you scroll down and look on the left sidebar, you will see a list of Books, Movies and Music I recommend for my readers. I'll try to update it at least once a month.

Of course, Miss Dusty Springfield is on the first list I made...I chose her very unique 1983 album called White Heat to recommend. It's really an album like no other you will ever hear in your life!

Dusty takes on such a different persona, and she even sings heavy metal! ("Blind Sheep") One of the songs is penned by Elvis Costello ("Losing You (Just A Memory)") and another features lyrics by none other than Sting ("I Don't Think We Could Ever Be Friends"). The whole affair was produced in Canada with the help of Carole Pope (Dusty's girlfriend at the time) and the Canadian band Rough Trade. It has a decidely rock n'roll meets BPM feel to it, nothing like anything Dusty had ever recorded or would record. It's credited by many music critics as the first authentic BPM album, the great-grandfather so to speak of Techno and House music and it has the distinction (if you can call it that) to be the very last album recorded on the famous Casablanca label before it went under. Very interesting indeed! My favorite tracks are "I Am Curious", "Donnez-Moi" and the final track, "Soft Core".

Definitely worth a listen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home