Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Christmas in July!

Wow! It's been almost 2 months since I've blogged! What is my problem?

I'll tell you what my problem is--I am having a great time with my life right now! So many good things are happening to me that I don't have time to bitch about anything in this blog! : )

Ok, so The Monkey is still President, and our Country is still going down the crapper, but at least thing are looking up for me personally.

Work is going very well, and I am being sent to Paris (hello?) for 2 weeks starting on Thursday. This will be the first business trip I take in almost 7 years--and it's about time! It will be a wonderful experience I'm sure and I am looking forward to visiting the City of Lights for the 2nd time (last time was in 1990-my how time does fly!)

In terms of recommendations for music, film, etc...I saw War of The Worlds on Saturday night and I really didn't like it. Aside from being totally over Mr. Cruise and his Scientology driven crusade to kill the therapists, I just found the film to be rather plotless. Okay, so an alien race tries to take over the World. That's it. And despite Spielberg's valiant attempts to add depth to the 3 main characters and the excellent special effects and editing, he just couldn't get away from the fact that there just isn't much "there there" as Ms. Gertrude Stein once proclaimed. So what? That was the question I was left pondering as I exited the multiplex.

I did see a wonderful, much more rich and complicated film on Sunday night (love COMCAST ON DEMAND!) called Mala Educacion (Bad Education), the latest Almodovar film. Very edgey (as always for him) and very thought provoking. Still not my favorite of his films, but very well made I thought. At least there were some human, emotional, complex issues dealt with, and not just fluff and aliens pulverizing CGI animated humans.

The whole country is a buzz with the announcement of the retirement of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. As terrible as this is for us liberals (cause it means The Monkey will get to choose a new Justice), I can't help but think that you never know what these Justices will do once they are selected and are on the bench. O'Connor herself was believed to be a total right wing lackey when Reagan appointed her in the early 80s and yet she ended up being quite moderate in her voting, so you never know. I hope for all our sakes that whomever The Monkey chooses, ends up being more center down the road...we have to get comfort in small things at this point.

Meanwhile, wonderful news from the U.K. that Dusty's long awaited Royal Albert Hall concert from 1979 (command performance for Princess Margaret), may soon be available (pred. November or December) on DVD! HOORAY! Gosh, I hope so--it's about bloody well time as the Brits would say! We need a worthwhile document of Dusty's brilliance on stage. I'm hoping a companion live CD will also be issued at the same time..Merry Christmas for me!

Well, I'm off to Paris on Thursday, can't say when I'll blog again, but in the meantime--let's carry on and try to make the best of this summer!

I am currently in one of the best moods of my adult life, so I hope I can ride this wave all summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home