Monday, May 02, 2005

Great week of theatre and performance!

Wow..what a week!

I saw MOBY DICK REHEARSED at The American Century Theater, what a wonderful production which truly exemplifies how theatre is truly about creativity and imagination and not about big budgets and expensive theatrics! TACT has done a wonderful job once more at rescuing a wonderful piece of theatre and giving it a clever and original interpretation!

I also saw THE TEMPEST at The Shakespeare Theatre , funny, two shows in 2 days that have a shipwreck in them! : ) Interesting! Anyway, this production was gorgeous! Amazing sets and costumes and very very high production values. Unfortunately, in my mind, the acting and the direction were uneven. The romance scenes and the comedy scenes worked well, but the scenes dealing with the possible murder of Alonso did not sit well at all. BORING BORING BORING..the actors did not know how to convey the meaning of the text, and the director was unable to get them there. So they just seemed like interminable ramblings. I've never been a big fan of The Tempest, I think it's one of Shakespeare's less interesting plays in terms of the language and rhythm. Some very nice moments, some nice lines, but nothing as poetic as Twelfth Night or Midsummer...or Romeo & Juliet. Overall it was a decent production with lots of highs, but you expect a production that is $55/ticket to get every little thing right, and they didn't really. A shame.

The lesson learned? A big budget does not guarantee a good show. Something to think about.

Now to change gears to the subject of my return to performing after 2 years!

I performed at the Joy of Motion Jazz Festival this weekend, dancing in a duet choreographed by Ann Behrends. It was thrilling to be on stage once again after such a long hiatus, and it was a bit nerve-wracking as well. I think I did better Sat night than Sunday, but overall it felt like I did the best I could for where I am.

I am going to continue my dance class and keep things moving, in hopes of getting in shape for the upcoming audition for DAMN YANKEES at Arena Stage. That's the one I've got my eye on!

I am so tired today though! The weekend was exhausting! And I didn't get much sleep last night (not sure why)...but Monday is almost over..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home