Friday, April 22, 2005

From Chaos Comes Order

Well my friends, it's been a crazy couple of weeks for your LuvDusty, but I believe the worst has passed and things are slowly starting to get back to normal.

Aside from the sad passing of my dear Abuela (which I detail below in my previous post), I also had a busy busy time at work, and then the visit of my parents, Bill and Sara, who are actually still in the US and they will be visiting until May 8th.

I also had a callback for URINETOWN at Signature Theatre. This was a mixed-bag experience. I was excited to be called for a callback, which meant I didn't have to audition with everyone in the big cattle-call experience, which is always disgusting, but the downside is that it all felt very rushed. I worked with my vocal coach (yes, now I've started taking voice lessons, together with weekly dance class-part of my "get back in performing shape" plan), on my audition piece and walked in to the callback very confident. I sang the song, they seemed react well and enjoy, but I was still dismissed with a "thanks for coming in" wave and see ya later.

I guess I'm either a) still not strong enough a singer b) just not the right type for the show. I do admit I am more of a traditional musical theatre type, and URINETOWN is not your average musical-but I could definitely do it. Oh well, such is life. Maybe they will offer me Swing again like in previous shows, which would suck, but heck, I'd do it if they asked me.

My parent's visit has been wonderful in that we are getting to explore lots of great restaurants and getting to see some wonderful theatre!

Last week we went to a new place in my neighborhood called TALLULA, I highly recommend it, the food is delicious (if a tad overpriced), and the service was excellent. The atmosphere is also nice. The wine was AMAZING. If you like wine, this is your restaurant, over 300 different bottles to choose from, and over 80 different glasses of wine as well...

Also last week, we went to LA TASCA, a favorite of my parents, also in my neighborhood. The food is consistently good as is the service. And the Sangria is delicious!

This week, we went to our first theatre event, we saw AFTERPLAY at Studio Theatre. It was lovely! Nancy Robinette is simply to die for, and Ed Gero is wonderful as well. What a pair! Dinner was at THAI TANIC, a fun little place a few blocks from the theatre. The food wasn't as good as it has been in the past last night, maybe they had a replacement chef? But it's really inexpensive ($8.95 entree? In DC? Hello?) and great if you have to make a show at Studio.

Theatre and restaurant exploration will continue..next week I am taking them to see MOBY DICK REHEARSED at The American Century Theater (we also have to go to a pre-show reception for the 10th Anniversary of the theatre. I have choreographed several shows for them so I am on the guest list) and THE TEMPEST at The Shakespeare Theatre. I will report back with Theatre as well as Restaurant critiques next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home